I‘m back, I’ve missed ya’ll.
Happy Thanksgiving! I’m sure everyone is preparing to celebrate some amazing home cooking and family time with loved ones. Just as you sit back and fall into that food induced coma, you remember “Black Friday” is upon us and the daunting task of finding the perfect Christmas gift looms. At least that is what I have been thinking. Ugh!
Then a light bulb went off! Instead of gifting my family and friends with “things”, I’m going to gift them with “Experiences”! Let’s be real, we live in an overtly materialistic society. We all have too much “SH$T” and that last thing we need for Christmas is more “stuff”. (I’m trying not to curse as much) In the long run, “experiences” give memories that will last a lifetime.
Here are a few things I have been thinking about gifting:
1. Theatre Tickets:
- A Christmas Story – The Goodman Theatre
- Hamilton – Private Bank Theatre
- The Body Guard w/ Deborah Cox – The Oriental Theatre
- Charlie Brown Christmas – Broadway Playhouse
- The Illusionist – The Oriental Theatre
Washington DC: www.theatermania.com
- A Christmas Carol – Ford Theatre
- Into the Woods - The Kennedy Center
- Cincinnati Ballet: The Nutcracker – Kennedy Center
- Intimate Illusions – The Kennedy Center
2. Concert Tickets:
One of my most recent birthday gifts were tickets to a “bomb” old school R&B concert! It was so awesome and my gift giver created memories that would last a lifetime. Memories that create stories that I can tell over and over again. LOL. So check out your local venues to see what’s happening. The Fillmore here in DC usually has great shows. Brandy was just here a few days ago. A while back I saw Common and Mos Def up close and personal. Lauryn Hill and The Roots will be here in December! Perfect gift! For more info check out the Fillmore if you live in the area or just visiting www.fillmoresilverpring.com.
3. Sports Tickets:
I love my BEARS but basically, Chicago football season is over. Basketball and Hockey tickets could work. My brother and I purchased Bulls tickets for our dad’s birthday. He loved it, actually they both did. Depending on the time of year you can finds tickets for team practices!
- NASCAR Stock Car Ride Along/Drive: Experience the thrill of NASCAR from the best seat in the house, as you ride shotgun with a professional driver at the Chicagoland Speedway!
- Indoor Skydiving: Experience the thrill of skydiving without the hassle of a plane and parachute when you go Indoor Skydiving!
- Golf lessons with a PGA Pro: Take a personalized golf lesson with a Class A PGA Professional in Chicago. Teachers will look at the key elements of your golf game and help you to improve your shot, and lower your score and handicap.
- Learn to Fly in DC: Friendly and experienced FAA-certified commercial pilots and flight instructors will teach you to climb, descend and make turns.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: Picture yourself peacefully floating over the Shenandoah Valley on this unique Hot Air Balloon Ride!
- Private Wine and Education Tour: Escape the city for a Private Wine Education Course at Philip Carter Winery, less than 60 miles from downtown Washington, D.C in Virginia's wine country!
5. Great Escapes:
And of course, any short getaway/ mini vacation would be an “experience” of a life time! I’ve never been to Scottsdale, Arizona but I hear the spa experience there is one of a kind. The Sanctuary Spa, aptly named Sanctuary Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa, an Asian-inspired retreat, is perched above the city, secluded in thick bamboo, and features a reflecting pond and zen meditation garden. The Eastern-style services include tok sen vibration therapy ($255), reiki healing ($165), sabai foot massage ($165), and luk pra kope herbal massage ($320). A new feature premiering summer 2016 is the Spa House, a private mountain home sleeping up to 16 and including massage tables, a movement studio, and a 350-square-foot private patio. A Spa Concierge and Sensei in Residence are at the ready, plus exclusive Spa House classes.
So you see, there are tons of ideas out there for gifting an “experience”. Share with me some of your ideas. I’m still trying to figure out what to get my daddy.
Enjoy the Journey,