So I’m at that point. You know, the moment your birthday is approaching and you’re not that excited to be in a new age bracket? When you no longer know every song that comes on in the club and second guess if you should still shop at Forever 21? Yep, I’m there now. Feeling the terror like Veronica.
This year, I’m officially in my mid-thirties and don’t quite know how to feel about it. I wasn’t in the best mood to celebrate this year but I did want to focus on the positive. I’m morphing into a new woman, learning to live to be a better, more authentic Eboni. What got me to this space? It’s the life lessons I’m learning and thought you I would share.
1. Stop giving 2 shits about what others think. Dance like no one is watching.
2. All rejection is protection.
3. Define what happiness means for YOU and start living it outside of others expectations.
4. Take care of your body and your mind. What you put into it is what comes out.
5. Build your own personal board of directors. Surround yourself with people who are in the place you want to be and who motivate you to do better.
6. Learn to forgive others but don’t forget to forgive yourself first.
7. To get something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.
8. Intentionality is key. Before you do anything, ask yourself - why? is this really what I want?
9. There is freedom in saying NO. No explanation or apology is required.
Perfection doesn’t exist. Stop striving for it.
11. Stress kills. Go meditate.
12. Trust yourself and your inner voice. It’s your compass that never fails.
13. Nobody will fight for you if you don’t fight for yourself.
14. Start and end everyday with gratitude.
15. Giving is living. Every time I give without expectation, I get it back 10 fold (whether it’s my time, my money, or my talents).
16. Get your money together!
17. Travel often.
18. You ALWAYS have a choice.
19. It’s okay to eat that brownie, just don’t eat the whole pan.
20. Invest in yourself. Focus on your strengths (not weaknesses) and find ways to show your value.
21. There’s never the perfect time. Just do it!
22. There will always be someone more beautiful, skinnier, richer, younger - accept yourself as you are. You are enough!
23. Be accountable for your actions. You’re too grown not to be.
24. Be the person you want to date. If you require something in a mate, make sure you’re bringing the same thing to the table.
25. Learn to unplug every once in a while.
26. Give people their roses while they’re still alive. Life is too short.
27. If it ain’t working for you, let that shit go! (a failed business, a man, a bad idea, etc.)
28. Your success is in the people’s lives you positively affect, not in the money you acquire.
29. Stay woke!
30. Don’t be afraid to love again. And btw, don't be afraid to let others love you!
Be ready so you don't have to get ready.
32. People pleasing is a disease. Find a cure!
33. Learn from your mistakes. Don’t dwell on it.
34. Spellcheck still exists. Use it!
35. Acknowledge God always.
Any life lessons you’d like to add? Share in the comments below!