You never walk out of the gym and say, 'I shouldn't have gone.' -Taylor Kitsch
Unless, you have been trying to get a quick cardio session in for the last 20 minutes and the guy next to you keeps talking, aka flirting! UGH……
Being healthy and looking good is pretty high on my list of priorities. My goal is to be physically fit and look amazing until I’m at least 80 years old. Much like the women they feature in ESSENCE and EBONY magazines each year, that look great at every age group. So every day after work, I go to my FAVORITE gym and take care of business.
My gym isn’t just any gym, its “Club Largo”! And I looooooove my gym. It can be a very entertaining place with interesting characters and eye-catching distractions. It’s perfect for meeting cool people or people watching!
As a result, I’ve come up with a couple “gym types”:
- “The workout enthusiast” – They are hard core and focused. They come with a workout plan in mind. They actually motivate me to stay on the grind.
- “The stunters” – They just come to the gym for attention. They usually have the most coordinated or most revealing workout outfits. And most notably, they don’t really workout. If they do, it’s in slow motion.
- “The hunters” – They are actually workout enthusiast… but that’s how they trick you. You think they are your workout buddy, but they are actually waiting for the right time to strike and make you Bae! “Got’em”!
Tips on how to avoid distractions in the gym (although it can be hard):
1) Always have head phones in your ears, even if you don’t have music on your phone. JUST DO IT! (Veronica and I are gym rats and talk about this strategy all the time!)
2) Pretend like you are in “the zone” and don’t see them approach. (This has a 50% chance of working, FYI)
3) Give the nod or wave without stopping your exercise (Its imperative that you don’t stop the exercise.) Any pause in your exercise will encourage them to talk.
At the end of the day, Gold’s Gym in Largo, MD is a great place to help you meet your personal health goals. It’s located right off 495, easy access from the expressway. The facility is new, beautiful and spacious with all the essential equipment needed to sculpt your body. And did I mention they are an awarding winning Golds Gym!
The staff is so friendly, and the COMPEL trainers are very knowledgeable, encourage you to be your best self and push you past your comfort zone. (Trust me, my trainer is hard core!) And lastly, the members of the gym keep me on my toes and they are awesome people. When a gym is packed like the “club”, that means people are serious about their health and I vibe with that!
I have a good time when I work-out and I continue to meet some pretty cool people there, regardless of their intentions ;). Next time you are in the DMV (DC, MD or VA), stop by!
Enjoy the Journey,