Mental health awareness comes in a variety of forms. For me, it is being aware of the things that impact my quality of life. Things like stress and that feeling of being overwhelmed can often be all too familiar of a place. There are three things I do to keep those feelings at bay. I workout, give less fucx, and allow the energy of my clothing to help better my mood. A recent news release shares a study that states our mood can be greatly impacted by what we decide to wear. And who am I to argue with these findings? Being a mom, a wife, a professional career woman, blogger and a workout enthusiast that often moonlights as a comedian (I don’t. I’m scurred.) it is easy to feel the stress of it all and become overwhelmed. I remember when I had Elle, I thought “I did this once it wouldn’t be hard to do it again.” And then she showed up and was like “Oh, ok. Let’s turn up then!” She was collickly and cried ALL.THEE.FUXING.TIME. She did not give two shits about my sanity so I had to in order to remain an engaged mom. During that time I lived in yoga pants and tank tops with my hair always in a puff. I spent 75% of my time breastfeeding and the other 25% trying to figure out how I got here... Stress was an understatement.
As I was able to get out of the house more, interact with friends, get back to work and put on real clothes I started to feel less stressed. When I have days where stress seems more abundant than usual I get dressed in clothes that make me feel vibrant, confident, and happy. Clothes do that for me. Not to say there are not other things that help ease my stress but the way I feel about how I look is up there on the list. In order to reduce my stress, I will avoid situations and people like the plague. I will avoid you like I dodge those people looking to get you to sign their petition about saving whales during your lunch break. I will fake like I am on phone to avoid you. Not that saving whales isn’t important. The petitioner’s timing is bad. It’s lunch time bro. In all seriousness stress is real! It jeopardizes someone’s life everyday. Do yourself a favor, the next time you wake up and are not in a good mood look for that outfit that instantly moves your confidence needle to Beyonce. How do you manage your stress? Has an outfit ever made you feel better?