Having kids makes you want to find any way possible to cut down on your morning routine. What used to be an hour plus of me getting ready daily is now down to about 20 – 30 minutes. Some would describe my hair texture as 4b/c (and if you look waaaaaayyy in the back a bit of 4a. Like way in the damn back and around the corner) so a quick routine can be hard to find. My hair is low porosity so it does not retain moisture well. I have figured out some tricks to combat the lack of moisture, which I will share in a future post, but I have not found a wash and go routine that works for me. So I love a twist out! On day one my twist outs look like “baby hair and afros” and on day five it looks like “who you calling a bitch? U.N.I.T.YYYY.” Yet, I love every phase of it!
Although I love a good twist out, I want to find a wash and go routine that works for me. I decided to hop on the worldwide web to scour Youtube for wash and go routines for my hair texture. But I promise yall, somebody is clearly lying. Why does this “wash and go” (key words wash and go on about yo business) have 326 steps??? Like bruh, I’m not gonna do it! If I wanted to spend this much time on a hairstyle I would do a twist or braid out, flexi rods, wand curls, hell I would even finger wave it before I take 326 steps on a wash-n-go.
I need a less tedious wash-n-go. Here is what I did to my hair to achieve this look:
1. Wash, condition, and detangle hair
2. While in the shower and hair is soaking wet I spray it with my water and aloe vera juice mixture. Aloe vera juice helps to retain moisture. I use ¼ aloe vera juice and ¾ water.
3. Shake hair to remove excess water.
4. Apply Mielle Organics oil all over head to seal in the moisture.
5. Take small to medium sections of hair and add Ecostyler gel. A friend of mine recently introduced me to the one in the brown jar. I love it!
6. While adding gel rake fingers through to help curls pop. Or you can use a Denman brush.
7. Once gel is added all over, give it another shake.
8. *Important* you may now wash your ass and get out the shower. Do NOT wash up first and then leave your body covered in product residue. I’m just tryna help, you’re welcome.
9. Style your hair how you want it (side or middle part, etc).
10. Use a diffuser to lock curls in place or let it air dry!
I still love my twist outs, but a wash and go will make more of an appearance during the summer months! As you can see, my hair is not super defined. Some prefer a really defined wash and go. I opted to limit the amount of gel to avoid my hair getting dry and hard. Share your routine. We are all learning.