I know, I know. You are already feeling some type of way about this post before even reading it. I get it… It’s a sensitive subject for most natural hair queens and kings. We have hair that attracts the attention of many. Some that admire it from afar, some that think it is unkempt, some that envy our strands and then there are those that just have to touch it. And guess what? I completely invite the curious ones who want to know what it feels like.
I mean, our hair is like no other. The kinkiest of hair looks so regal but can also be transformed into something silky straight. That is versatility at its finest and not many other cultures hair can do that so graciously. I feel like if your hands are clean, why not? Go for it! I don’t mind people touching my hair when asked. What will get you a look of death from the seven kingdoms is touching it without an invitation. Bruh, let’s not do this today. I was having a marvelous day and then you slid your phalanges into my hair like advice that was not wanted - simply muddafuckin uninvited. Down right rude. You bout to get these hands. Unnecessary ass. What in the entire fugg? Lawd I’m bout to go to jail over some petty shit. Why? Why me???
For me, the frustration comes from the lack of respect. So before you touch it, ask. I think most people will be willing to let you touch it if asked. Do not invite yourself into an ass whooping by touching it without permission. Just don't. It is not that serious. My hair is not the only thing that requires an invite to touch. Here are some other things:
1. My food… Just.Don’t.Evvvverrr. I don’t mind sharing but don’t help yourself.
2. My body, especially my stomach. Like, wtf? I’m sensitive about my shit.
3. My kids… Again. Just.Don’t.Ever. Him and her right there, don’t do it!
4. Anything in my car. My radio, my air, my horn (have you ever had someone reach over and try to hunk the horn for you??? That shit will get you put out).
5. The top of my straw or cup. I won’t drink it and I don’t care if you’re offended.
6. My face... There is no quicker way to meet your maker. Try me. #NoThreatsJustFacts
7. My phone. No explanation needed.
8. My leftovers. I know I said food already but damnit leftovers deserve their own recognition.
9. My nerves. I only have a few left.
10. My shopping cart. You bet not… If it is in the way, I will move it.
Do you allow people to touch you hair? What are some other things that bother you when touched?